Total Pageviews

Friday 1 July 2011

...and so ends the first week

It is now Friday afternoon and I'm sitting out on the veranda in the late afternoon sunshine. I can't believe how quickly my first week in Namibia is zipping by. It has mainly been a week of introductions, to my UNFPA colleagues and key people in other UN agencies such as UNICEF, UNHCR, UNAIDs, UNDP, WFP and FAO. Not everyone was around as there are a couple of large conferences going on in Windhoek at the moment including one on Education so no doubt I will have more introductions next week. I also met a counterpart in the Namibian Red Cross who gave me a thorough briefing on the current situation in flood affected areas in the north of the country. I hope to do the rounds at various Government ministries next week and plan a field trip as soon as possible. I have settled into my office, it looks tidy doesn't it? Bet it won't stay like that for long!



In between I've made contact with a couple of estate agents and viewed a couple of properties yesterday. All I need is a studio or one bedroom flat/apartment to rent for 6 months but these seem to be quite hard to come by as properties are quite large e.g. 3 or 4 bedrooms with ensuite, 2 garages etc. I will see another property this evening. I circulated an email around the UN yesterday and received some emails and phone calls of friends of friends informing me of some options plus an invitation to join the International Women's Association of Namibia which welcomes newcomers to Namibia, organises social and charity fundraising events and supports a number of local charities which assist vulnerable women and children. This sounds interesting so I will check them out. It might be a great way to make friends as well as doing something in my free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment