Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Surprise, surprise!

All too soon my last week in Namibia arrived. I couldn't believe how quickly the mission had passed. Despite a bit of a slow start in the first 3 months, between us all in UNFPA, the Resident Coordinator's office and the OPM/Directorate of Disaster Risk Management, we had achieved a lot and the second half of the mission flew by. My final week was quickly taken up with report writing (final reports and workshop reports and hand-over recommendations etc), debriefings and a spot of Christmas shopping in 33 degree heat, and a couple of lovely surprises.

My wonderful friends from IOM, Elham, Anamaria had organised a surprise dinner for me at Am Weinberg, a gourmet restaurant off Jan Jonker Weg one evening. They also presented me with a beautiful artistic collage, "you are beautiful", they had made to commemorate my time in Namibia.

Anamaria, me and Elham with the beautiful "you are beautiful'" plaque

Elham, Millan and I at Am Weinberg
We thoroughly enjoyed a 5 star dinner! I tucked into a springbok steak in chilli-chocolate sauce with spring vegetables....yes it works! I followed that with a light and yummy parfait for pud, couldn't resist! And with such warm and joyful company I had the best time. 

The next day my colleagues at UNFPA, unbeknown to me, arranged a surprise braai party for me at Cathline's house. I really had no idea. I thought I was popping out for a drink with one or two colleagues after work on a Friday afternoon but no, Cathline picked me up and took me home where my colleagues were waiting with a variety of drinks on the table the braai ready. 

My lovely team mates - Philomena, Grace, Issy,
Tapopi, Cat, Valery and Cat

The experts at work - these guys know how to braai, I mean
check out the size of that toolbox!
 
We partied on well into the night and heralded in the weekend. My weekend was taken up with finishing off some Christmas shopping and beginning to sort out my things and pack. I had some time to have a lovely lunch with my friend Julia from the Hash House Harriers at Luigi and the Fish.

On my last Monday morning my colleagues, once again, surprised me by presenting me with a beautiful luxury bath towel that had been embroidered with my name, the Namibian national flag and greetings in several languages of Namibia, an ideal gift for the regular traveller and a special memento and we had our photo taken together in the UNFPA board room.

Issy, Loide, Me, Karen, Grace, Cat and Tomas
I knew I would miss my colleagues and friends very much, especially their smiles, warmth and friendly hospitality. I hope that I will meet them again one day!

The next day Cat, Alex and Grace took me to the airport accompanied by some African Jazz. Lots of hugs and photos later I waved goodbye and boarded the plane to Johannesburg. There I spent two days, one of which was spent at the UN OCHA regional office debriefing my colleagues Noro, Francis, Narciso and Caroline. In some ways it was good to have a couple of days transition before coming home to the UK and the cold weather. 

I've been home in Old Blighty for just over a month now and I often reflect on the amazing 6 months in Namibia. It was a great privilege to work with such wonderful people who are committed to making a difference in their country. I heard from them a few days ago and they told me UNFPA were participating, along with other UN agencies and Government colleagues, in a joint process to update regional contingency plans and a simulation exercise in northern Namibia in preparation for the next flood cycle. I sincerely hope that the people of Namibia won't experience a severe flood this year in 2012, but at least I know that my colleagues and friends from various organisations are prepared to help their brothers and sisters if there is another emergency!

In January I popped across to Geneva to give a presentation on my mission at the UN, alongside two of my fellow ProCap Senior Protection Officers, Alfredo and Christine who were speaking on their missions to Colombia and Somalia respectively. For those of you who wish to read the technical details of the work I undertook in Namibia you can read my final report here

For now I will leave you with these words from a Namibian poet called Damona Efraim, who throws light on this beautiful, diverse and inspiring nation. Don't take our words for it though, visit Namibia for yourself and be part of its future development, you won't regret it!

Walk with me - by Damona Efraim

What's the need of a resolution?
In life's solution
Always changes but compliments rotation
As I look around the location
I feel a sense of upliftment

This is my home, gives me protection
They say it's full of corruption
But everyday is a new edition
Somethin' new, always happenin'
Like township music rocks, jammin'...

The feelin' I get when I walk the street
Makes me feel collected
Brings back the sensation
That triggers the vibration
And paints a seed of inspiration...

For my dreams, I envision...
And there is no confusion...

That I'm back
And I'm proud to be Namibian!




No comments:

Post a Comment