Total Pageviews

Sunday 28 August 2011

From fish to apes and marmite

Last weekend I took myself off on a self-guided mini-walking tour in the centre of Windhoek, taking note of some of the landmarks and orientating myself to find places of interest I want to go back and explore at a later date e.g. the State Museum, National Art Gallery, Craft Centre etc. I stopped to admire the fountain and sculpture on Post Street Mall, made from real meteors commemorating a large meteor shower at Gibeon which happened 600 million years ago! I meandered through the many street stalls selling wood carvings, bead and leatherwork and baskets and stopped to buy some collectors stamps for my postcards home. I dropped into Ocean Basket to treat myself to fish and chips (well what is a Brit abroad supposed to do?) which happens to be one of my favourite foods anyway and cooked to perfection. I tucked in while sitting on the balcony overlooking the street craft market and watched the world go by for a while. You have to take a peek at one of their bizarre TV adverts, check out the prawn pack


Then to work off those calories I set off again on a ramble, pondered for a few tranquil, prayerful moments in the courtyard garden of the Dutch Reform Church, enjoying the welcome shade. And then I continued on to the Owela museum to see the Natural History Collection which ranged from the Welwitchia mirabilis desert plant, through to the endangered rhino and included an impressive display showing the evolutionary history of the elephant. On the other side of the museum visitors can wander through a series of displays showing the history and cultural practices of Namibia's diverse peoples including the Himba, Herero, Nama, Damara and Khoisan. Well worth a visit!

After that and feeling a tad parched in the strong afternoon sunshine, I toddled off to Maerua Mall to down an iced chocolate and slice of pecan pie at the Mugg and Bean Cafe but was disappointed with the iced chocolate because it had coffee in it.  I said to the waitress "but this is a mocha....", she replied, "no it's iced chocolate", I replied "when you mix chocolate and coffee together its a mocha", she said "no its an iced chocolate muggaccino".....oh my how confusing! Anyway I then bought myself a ticket to see "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" at Windhoek's only cinema. I thought the dialogue was pretty ropey at times but the computer generated action and special effects were impressive. I think the best actor award should go to the computer generated "Caesar", voice over and motion capture by Andy Serkis (remember him as Gollum in Lord of the Rings?....I rest my case).



Yesterday, I had a lazy Saturday, firstly a long lie in then a ramble down to get a strong coffee at Caffe Brazza. Secondly I bought a lovely aloe and soft linen home fragrance  reed diffuser from the Body Shop to bring a fresh spring scent into my flat now that the winter cold and wind is showing signs of abating and summer is on its way. A quick dash round Checkers supermarket to stock up on my food for the week ensued and later I joined my new friend Tracy, who runs the Cinnamon Cafe and a lovely little bar next to it, for a very late but delicious lunch at La Marmite restaurant on Independence Avenue. A North and West African venue with a fantastic menu is a place not to be missed. I delighted in one of my favourite African dishes, chicken in groundnut sauce with rice and spinach followed by flambed bananas in Amarula and coffee liqueur with ice cream...hmmmm.....amazing. I didn't need to eat again that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment