Total Pageviews

Thursday 20 October 2011

Cafe culture x 4

I thought I would tell you about a few more finds. Sometimes, during my lunch break from work I go across the road from UN House to the Portuguese Pasteleria Lua del Mel for a toasted sandwich or a delicious pastel de nata and coffee.



A week after my weekend in Swakopmund, I met up with Beth, who I met on the Botanic Garden guided walk a few weeks previously, for a late lunch at the Craft Cafe. The Craft cafe is situated on a balcony in the older Brewery complex off Independence Avenue which houses some of the very best Namibian crafts from all over the country including wood carvings, paintings, leatherwork, clothes, soft furnishings, jewelry, photos and household items. I enjoyed a citrus keffir drink (like an orange lassie)with a rolled greek salad with olive tapenade and health bread while listening to Beth's adventures as a field guide at the P.A.W.S project in Okonjima. It was good to catch up!

Two other cafes I tried for a change of scenery in order to get out of the office during lunchbreaks were Paprika and Fresh n' Wild. Paprika is a new cafe next to a small boutique in a large house around the corner from the Wild Eende nursery. It serves a limited range of light lunches, cakes and beverages and a couple of daily specials. Although reasonably price, I didn't think the food was as good quality as the Cicada in Wild Eende.

Fresh n Wild is a chain of cafes. I chose to try the branch in Utopia which is a health and wellbeing complex down on Nelson Mandela Avenue. They serve healthy lunches and revitalising or detoxifying smoothies. I found out about Utopia through a health, wellbeing and green-living newsletter called mind connections and went along one evening to listen to a spiritual talk on Ascended Masters at the Fresh n Wild one Wednesday evening. The event attracted quite a crowd of all ages and backgrounds. It was an interesting talk but not for me. I heard alarm bells ring when the speaker inferred that this was the only way to enlightenment and urged the audience to buy a series of 19 books to find out more. I believe that God or Universal Life Force has made all knowledge available to all beings. The skies proclaim the work of his/her hands and we already have everything we need to lead fulfilling lives, physically, emotionally and spiritually in harmony with all living things in the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment