Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Hash baptism

After all that flurry of activity throughout October, November and the beginning of December, I returned to Windhoek to enjoy my remaining weeks of my mission. I had missed a few 'hashes' during that time so I was glad that I could join one last trail in December before I left Namibia.

Our happy band of 'hashers' met outside the Roof of Africa Hotel at 4pm on a bright and warm sunny Sunday afternoon and we drove to the edge of the city to begin our two hour trek. The views were perfect and the trail was relatively easy with not too many steep ups and downs.

The starting point of our hash trail

We paused half way for the usual 'sake stop' to sample Rio Oro's (Hector) home-made sake that fuelled us up for the second half of the trail, while the sun began its descent across the sky.

Down down (drinks, rituals and dinner) took place at Hector and Sue's house and on the front lawn a fellow hasher, Karen and I received our hash baptism. No I don't mean we were initiated into the art of smoking a hemp based substance! Hashers receive an official Hash House Harriers name after being  on several hash trails. The Hash group nominates names that they think suit the hashers and then take votes. Karen was baptised Savanna Dry (after the famous South African cider) and I was given the name Desert Fog, so called because I come from a foggy country but I've been trekking around in the desert. Frankly, I escaped lightly, it could have been much worse! I like my name. I cannot reveal the ins and outs of the hash rituals in detail, to know those you need to belong to a hash house harriers group, but suffice to say the baptism ritual is not too far from a college 'boat race' and here we are still standing...

Desert Fog, Rio Oro and Savannah Dry
...and here are some happy hashers having indulged in a wonderful evening of eating, story-telling and riotous laughter!

all smiles!
A good time was certainly had by all and I left feeling truly grateful for this group of friends. And so I will say "On-On" until the next time I have the privilege of joining a hash in another corner of this amazing world we inhabit.

No comments:

Post a Comment